Madonna delle Grazie, Allumiere, Roma, Latium, Italy
Allumiere, 35 miles northwest of Rome, is named for the alum mines the
Papacy opened there in the 1460s. For some 200 years the Papal States were
Europe's main source of this mineral, essential in fabric dying. Near one
of the oldest of its mines, Cibona, at the foot of Monte Urbano south of
the present town, the priestly proprietors turned a wayside shrine into a
miners' chapel, covering its painting of the Virgin between Sts. James and
John with a new fresco of the same subject in the Sienese manner.
Abandoned when the excavations moved, the shrine was rediscovered after
1520, when word got out that the Virgin's left eyebrow bled on being
struck by a blasphemer who'd been playing cards on the altar. Waning
devotion was rekindled when on June 10, 1633, the day after Pentecost, a
woman was freed from a demon and the Virgin appeared in the chapel,
starting an avalanche of miracles. In 1637, the reformed Servants of Mary
of Monte Senario were brought in to care for the image and supervise work
on a church that might be big enough for the crowds. The new sanctuary at
Cibona was consecrated May 23, 1683, and the holy fresco solemnly crowned
in 1704. Meanwhile, the Servites fanned out through the area. On the site
of another wayside shrine near the mines of Monte Roncone, they built
another church, dedicated to the Madonna of Graces on September 6, 1689.
In 1710, they moved a statue of the Virgin there from Cibona. In 1799,
French revolutionaries took over the Papal States and closed the
monasteries. With the departure of the Servites, the church at Cibona fell
to ruin. In 1937, its holy fresco was moved to the Church of San Francesco
in nearby Tolfa. Acquired by the city in the mid-1800s, the Chapel of the
Madonna delle Grazie has been rebuilt and enlarged several times since 1954 to serve as a
diocesan sanctuary. The Madonna of Graces is patron of Allumiere, with
annual celebrations on August 15 and the week of September 8. Pope
John Paul II crowned her statue on March 19, 1987.
(Information from the city's website
and other sources.
from Giulio Saladini, "santuario della madonna delle grazie," www.angelfire.com/ma/Madonnadellegrazie.)
Also commemorated this date:
|Feast of St. Joseph, Mary's husband, Roman Catholic Church|
|Notre-Dame du Saint-Sang, Boulogne-sur-Mer, France (Our Lady of the
Holy Blood). First stone of new chapel placed, 1859.|
|Notre-Dame de Treize-Pierres, Villefranche-de-Rouergue, Aveyron,
Midi-Pyrénées, France (Our Lady of Thirteen Stones). Apparition,
|Madonna della Celletta, Argenta, Ferrara, Emilia-Romagna, Italy.
Annual pilgrimage March 19 renews vow made during earthquake of
1624. Feast day October 7.|
|Santa Maria della Cattolica, Mileto, Vibo Valentia, Calabria, Italy.
Dedication anniversary March 19. Main festa Sunday after Easter.|
|Our Lady of Sorrows, George Town, Penang, Malaysia. Church opened,
|Mother of God of the Blessed Heaven, Moscow, Russia. March 6 in the
|Our Lady of Częstochowa,
Moscow, Russia (March 6 Julian). Icon appeared, 1770.||