Nuestra Señora de los Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
In 1536, Spanish explorer Pedro de Mendoza found and named the port of Buenos
Aires. His company included a Sardinian squire, two friars of the Order of
Mercy, and an
image of Santa María del Buen Ayre. Navigators had already claimed Our Lady of
Good Air as patron, spreading her fame from her original Mercedarian shrine of
Bonaria in Sardinia, off Italy, to Mendoza's homeland of Andalusia in southern
Spain. Perhaps in recognition
of her assistance to mariners, her title altered in Argentina and some other
places to Nuestra Señora de los Buenos Aires, Our Lady of Good
On April 24, 1870 -- during the 500th anniversary celebration of the mysterious
arrival of Our Lady's statue to Sardinia by sea -- Msgr. Giovanni Lacovacci,
Bishop of Eritrea, crowned the Madonna of Bonaria on the authority of Pope Pius
IX. Ever since, devotees of Our Lady of Good Air have celebrated April 24 in
her honor, in addition to the traditional dates of March 25, feast of the Annunciation,
when the statue floated in to Cagliari, and August 15, feast of the
Our Lady of Buenos Aires holds the child with her left hand
and a candle with her right. (Source: "Basílica de Nuestra Señora
de los Buenos Aires," www.turismopractico.com.ar.)
Meanwhile, no church in Buenos Aires was dedicated to Our Lady of Good Air or
Winds, although there were images of her in the Cathedral and other churches.
With the backing of Sardinian immigrants, the church of Nuestra Señora de los
Buenos Aires, begun in 1911, was inaugurated on December 3, 1932, almost 400
years after Mendoza gave her name to the Argentinian capital. By then April 24
had become the liturgical feast day of Our Lady of Good Winds, so it is the name
day of Buenos Aires, though not its patronal feast day. (That honor goes to St.
Martin, celebrated November 11.) On April 24 the Orden de Caballería (Knights) de Santa María de los
Buenos Ayres holds a special mass and renewal of members' promises in the Buenos
In 1968, the Lions Clubs of Cagliari and Buenos Aires donated a marble
replica of the Madonna di Bonaria by Emilio del Fiandra to the city of Buenos
Aires. It stands in Plaza Cerdeña (Sardinian Square) near the immigration
Also commemorated this date:
|Beata Vergine della Salve, Alessandria, Alessandria, Piedmont, Italy.
Statue sweated, 1489 & 1945. Festa 2nd Sun. after Easter.|
|Madonna Addolorata, Rho, Milano, Lombardy, Italy. Painting wept blood,
|Madonna della Salette, Trambileno, Trento, Trento-Alto Adige, Italy.
Sanctuary building began, 1856.|
|St Mary, Windhoek, Namibia. Catholic cathedral dedicated, 1932.|
|Nossa Senhora do Bom Sucesso, Penamacor, Castelo Branco, Centro, Portugal.