Our Lady of Consolation, Carey, Ohio, USA
In 1868, Father Joseph Peter Gloden, pastor of a church seven miles distant, was assigned to help with a new congregation in the northwest Ohio village of Carey, because like many of the Catholics there he was from Luxembourg. Carey's church, dedicated to St. Edward, stood unfinished. Fr. Gloden encouraged its parishioners to complete the building by promising to rededicate it to Maria, Consolatrix Afflictorum (Consoler of the Afflicted), Luxembourg's patron saint. He imported a replica of her statue in Luxembourg's cathedral, which he kept in his parish in Frenchtown while construction proceeded.
On May 24, 1875, when a procession carried the statue the seven miles to Cary, a little miracle occurred. A storm blanketed the region, but although the pilgrims could see rain falling all around them, they and the statue remained dry the whole way.
Now run by Conventual Franciscan Friars, the brick Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation stands across the street from the original white church. The Shrine celebrates the Feast of Our Lady of Consolation annually on May 25, preceded by a novena. On the Feast of the Assumption, August 15, pilgrims gather for a procession from the Basilica to Shrine Park two blocks away.
(Information and photo from the shrine's website, Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation, www.olcshrine.com.)
Also commemorated this date: