Queen of Peace, Sioux City, Iowa, USA
In 1985, Father Harold Cooper, pastor of St. Joseph Church in Sioux
City, founded the Queen of Peace Apostolate, a nonprofit corporation of
area Catholics who shared his desire to erect a monumental statue of Mary
there, similar to one he had recently seen in Santa Clara, California. Two
years later, the group bought the campus of the former Trinity College and
High School on the northeast side of Sioux City, and in 1990 commissioned
sculptor Dale Lamphere of South Dakota to create the 30' stainless steel statue of Mary of the Immaculate Heart, Queen of
Peace, installed on the "Mound of Mary" December 16, 1992 and dedicated June 13, 1993.
Now called Trinity Heights, the shrine complex has grown to include a
garden, a museum, a 33' statue of Jesus, also by Dale Lamphere, and
shrines to the unborn, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, the Miraculous Medal, and
various saints. In the summer, a rosary is held on the Mound of Mary every
evening at 7:30 pm.
Trinity Heights website, www.trinityheights.com.
Also commemorated this date:
|Onze-Lieve-Vrouw-Ter-Sneeuw, Retie, Antwerp, Belgium (Our Lady of the
Snow). Statue found, untouched by falling snow, on January 16, 1645. First
stone of chapel placed June 13, 1665. Votive pilgrimage from Eersel in the
Netherlands on the 1st Saturday in June.|
|Maria Hilf, Klosterlechfeld, Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany (Mary Help).
Chapel consecrated, 1604.|
della Cava, Latera, Viterbo, Latium, Italy|
Boża Fatimska, Turza Śląska, Gorzyce, Wodzisław,
Silesia, Poland. Painting crowned, 2004.|
|Nossa Senhora do Pranto, Espinhal, Penela, Coimbra, Centro, Portugal (formerly)|
Seņora de la Victoria, Melilla, Spain. Proclaimed perpetual mayor &
statue crowned, 1948; street procession Sept. 8.|