Mother of God of Perpetual Help, Shemetava, Myadzel, Minsk, Belarus
||Part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth until partitioned to Russia
in the 1800s, Northwestern Belarus is a crossroads of faiths and
ethnicities. Under Russian rule, the Catholic church in the village of
Shemetava was closed and then disassembled. In 1902, Balaslau Skirmunt
began rebuilding it, and on July 30, 1904 the church was consecrated
to the Mother of God of Perpetual
Help, then a new and popular devotion.
Now the main icon on the
altar is the Black Madonna of Vilnius, Lithuania, Our Lady of Ostra Brama.
This small reproduction of the Roman icon of Perpetual Help hangs far
above it. The parish celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2004.
(Information from Roman Catholic Church in Belarus, catholic.by.
Picture from www.narach.org/en/history/religion/szemietava.html.)
Also celebrated this date:
|Notre Dame des 3 Ave, Blois, Loir-Cher, Centre, France. Benedict XV
approved the archconfraternity, 1921; church of Notre-Dame de
la Trinité opened, 1949.|
|Our Lady of Snow, Pallipuram, Vypeen Island, Kochi, Kerala, India.
Start of festival.|
|Madonna di Lourdes, Nevegal, Belluno, Veneto, Italy. Church opened,
|Santo Anello, Perugia, Umbria, Italy. Mary's ring exposed for annual
|Nuestra Señora de la Estrella, Los Santos de Maimona, Badajoz,
Extremadura, Spain (Our Lady of the Star). Statue crowned, 1994; fiesta
|Mother of God, Sviatohirsk, Volodarskyi, Donetsk, Ukraine (July 17