August 8

Santa Maria della Querce, Lucignano, Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy

In 1417 Feliciano Batone painted a fresco of the Pietŕ on a wayside shrine beneath a great oak. Fifty years later, there was a surge in devotion to the Madonna of the Oak after the story circulated that on August 8, 1467 a man from Siena, running from his enemies, stopped there to pray to Mary, who made him invisible to his pursuers. A small wooden chapel was built to protect the image and consecrated that year. Located on a hill northeast of the old city center, beyond the Medici Fortress and the cemetery, the present church was designed by Giorgio Vasari in 1558 and consecrated in 1617. On the third Sunday of September, near the feast of the Sorrowful Mother on September 15, Lucignano celebrates St. Mary of the Oak with religious services, food, games, and fireworks.   


bullet"Turismo - Guida Turistica," Comune di Lucignano, Turistica&id=21
bullet"La storia di Lucignano in Val di Chiana," Lucignano in Val di Chiana - Toscana Italia,
bullet"Paesi Toscana," Lucignano-Web, (picture)

Also commemorated this date:

bulletOnze-Lieve-Vrouw van Thuyne, Ypres, West Flanders, Flanders, Belgium. Siege ended, 1383. Celebrated 1st Sun. in Aug.
bulletCśur Immaculé de Marie, Mons, Hainaut, Wallonia, Belgium. Confraternity founded, 1845, in Church of St. Waltrude.
bulletNotre Dame Miraculeuse, Muno, Luxembourg, Wallonia, Belgium. Man invoked Mary during an accident, 1987, vowing to build the shrine.
bulletNavštívení Panny Marie, Rusín, Bruntál, Moravia-Silesia, Czech Republic (Visitation of St. Mary). Dedication anniversary.
bulletNotre Dame Panetičre, Aire-sur-la-Lys, Pas-de-Calais, France (Our Lady of the Breadbasket). Statue crowned, 1954.
bulletOnze Lieve Vrouw van Lourdes, Sint Willebrord, Rucphen, North Brabant, Netherlands. Grotto consecrated, 1926.

Where We Walked ~~~ Mary Ann Daly