Lesna Mother of God, Provemont, Eure, Haute-Normandie, France
At its finding in 1683 (see September 26), the stone icon of Leśna was placed in the Orthodox church in Bukowice. Catholics took it to Leśna,
where it became the centerpiece of a Pauline monastery church. In 1863, the monks took part in an unsuccessful Polish uprising against the Russian occupation, and the Russian
victors punished them by turning their establishment into an Orthodox convent. Leśna is now in Poland, and the monastery back with the Pauline Fathers, but meanwhile the
Orthodox hold that the nuns moved their holy image with them to France after the Bolshevik Revolution. The Russian Orthodox Church honors the Lesna Mother of God on September 27.
(Picture of the icon in its gilt rayed frame from www.icon.lt/list/lesna.htm.)
Also celebrated this date:
|Maria mit dem Geneigten Haupt, Vienna, Austria (Mary with the Bowed
Head). Painting crowned, 1931.|
|Panna Marie, Dub nad Moravou, Olomouc, Czech Republic (Virgin Mary). Icon
that was found glowing at night moved to Church of the Purification, 1727.||
|Notre-Dame des Ermites, Montaut, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, Aquitaine, France
(Our Lady of the Hermits). Statue placed in chapel, 1748.|
|Santa Maria Maggiore, Treviso, Treviso, Veneto, Italy (St. Mary the
Greater). Apparition, 1511.|
|Madonna Addolorata, Angri, Napoli, Campania, Italy (Sorrowful Madonna).
Painting crowned, 1953.|
|Nuestra Señora de los Remedios, Guimarán, Carreño, Asturias, Spain.
Statue crowned, 1959. Fiesta last Sunday.|
|Virgen de la Paruela, Bagües, Cinco Villas, Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain.
Fiesta. Romería August 15.|
|Nuestra Señora de Belén, Cabeza del Buey, Badajoz, Extremadura, Spain
(Our Lady of Bethlehem)|