Matka Pięknej Miłości, Domaniewice, Łowicz,
The story goes that in the 1620s, Jakuba and Wojciech Celestów,
dealers in lead and copper, were traveling from their base in Cracow
through the forests of central Poland when they lost their favorite horse.
After an unsuccessful search, the brothers vowed that if they ever found
her, they would build a chapel to the Virgin. Seven years later, passing
that way again, they heard familiar neighing: there was the beloved mare
with seven foals. Built on that spot, the Chapel of the Holy Nativity of
St. Mary was consecrated October 15, 1633 by the Primate of Poland.
On its altar the brothers placed a copy of the ancient icon of Our Lady of
the Snows in Rome, whose Cracow replica was
connected with a recent victory over the Turks in Poland. Because of the
addition of cherubim to the composition, the Domaniewice icon became known
as Our Lady of Angels. In 1975, another Primate of Poland, Cardinal Stefan
Wyszynski, designated the chapel the Sanctuary of the Mother of God
Consoler of the Afflicted and Mother of Beautiful Love. Under this title
the icon was crowned on September 8, 2000, feast of the Nativity of
(Information from the Sanctuary's site, mbdomaniewice.republika.pl.
Picture from the Diocese of Łódź website, www.diecezja.lowicz.pl.)
Also commemorated this date:
|Nostra Signora d'Europa, Madesimo, Sondrio, Lombardy, Italy.
Monumental mountaintop statue inaugurated for the European Ecumenical
Center for Peace, 1957.|
|Virgen de los Remedios, Rubite, Granada, Andalucia, Spain|
|Maria Rickenbach, Oberdorf, Nidwalden, Switzerland, Niederrickenbach
village. Alpine chapel, rebuilt after French invasion of 1798,
consecrated Oct. 15, 1869.|