November 6

Joy of All Who Sorrow, Moscow, Russia

On November 6, 1688 (October 24 in the old calendar), as the Patriarch of Moscow's sister lay in bed with an incurable open wound in her side, she heard a woman's voice say, "Euphemia! Go to the temple of the Transfiguration of My Son; there you will find an icon called the 'Joy of All Who Sorrow.' Have the priest celebrate a moleben with the blessing of water, and you will receive healing from sickness." Euphemia had the priest say the prayer service in the church, then bring the icon to her home and bless her with holy water. She arose healed. Russian liturgy now honors the icon on the date the Mother of God is believed to have spoken to Euphemia: "Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, full of Grace, Joy of all who sorrow!" ("OCA - Lives of all saints commemorated on this day," The Orthodox Church in America, www.oca.org). Because of continuing miracles after prayers before this icon, Transfiguration Church on Ordynka Street became known as Joy of All Who Sorrow Church. During the Soviet era it became a storage facility for the Tretyakov State Gallery. The church reopened for worship in 1948. Some believe the icon enshrined there is the one that was there in 1688; others hold that it is a copy from the 1700s. The Virgin stands holding the Child in a radiant mandorla, surrounded by suffering people being helped. Other icons with this title, such as one in St. Petersburg, have similar iconography, but without the child.

Also celebrated this date:

bulletSuloisesti Suuteleva, Heinävesi, Eastern Finland, Southern Savonia, Finland (Sweet Kiss of the Mother of God). St. Antipa brought icon to Valamo monastery, 1865.

 
The icon of the Mother of God, Joy of All Who Sorrow, in the Orthodox church on Ordynka Street in Moscow (from Russian Wikipedia)

bulletGrieving Mother of God, Simferopol, Crimea, Ukraine. Miraculously restored icon in Holy Trinity Monastery. Feast Oct. 24 Julian.
bulletMourning Mother of God, Pryluky, Pryluky, Chernihiv, Ukraine (Oct 24 Julian). Miraculously restored icon in Transfiguration Cathedral.
 

Where We Walked ~~~ Mary Ann Daly