Vergine di Montesanto, Rome, Italy
||On the Piazza del Popolo in Rome, there used to be a small
church run by Carmelite friars, called St. Mary of the Holy Mountain after
Mount Carmel in the Holy Land. The church housed a miraculous Madonna and
Child, believed to have been painted by an 11-year-old girl with
supernatural help. After the painting was canonically crowned on December
3, 1659, Cardinal Gerolamo Gastaldi decided to build the Madonna a more
splended sanctuary. It was the work of three great architects. Gian
Lorenzo Bernini modified Carlo Rainaldi's original plan to give the
building an oval shape more in keeping with its site, and Carlo Fontana
supervised its completion in 1679. Around the same time the
"twin" church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli was built next door.
The painting, hard to date but typical of the late 1400s, occupies a large
columned altarpiece with stucco angels by Filippo Carcani. In 1953, Pius
XII designated the Basilica di Santa Maria in Montesanto the official
church for artists, who still come before the Virgin seeking divine help.
See its site, www.chiesadegliartisti.it.
(Picture of the Virgin of the Holy Mountain from "Presbiterio," Romainteractive,
Also celebrated this date:
|Nuestra Señora del Sol, Tarifa, Cádiz, Andalucia, Spain (Our Lady of the
Sun). City patron.|