December 17

Andocsi Szuz Mária, Andocs, Somogy, Southern Transdanubia, Hungary

The story goes that before the Turkish invasion of 1526, angels saved the statue of the Virgin and Child in the church of Andocs, now in southwestern Hungary. In any case, by midcentury the southern Transdanubian region was under Ottoman rule, and many surviving Christians emigrated or became Protestant. In the 1640s, the Catholic bishop sent Jesuit priests to re-evangelize the area. In an abandoned Gothic church in Andocs, Fr. János Horváth found the Virgin's statue. By 1700, the village had become a place of pilgrimages and miracles. In 1721 the Franciscans built a friary beside the church, which they began rebuilding in Baroque style in 1725. On December 17, 1747, when the bishop consecrated the new church of St. Mary, Countess Katalin Széchényi donated a magnificent robe for the statue. This began a continuing tradition of dressing the statue on the second Friday of every month. Many of the embroidered garments donated over the centuries are on display in the Museum of the Cloaks. The biggest pilgrimage days are August 15 (Assumption), September 8 (Mary's birth), and October 8 (Our Lady of Hungary). (Information from "Andocs, Franciscan Friary," Aerial photography, aerialphotography.blogter.hu/149333/andocs_franciscan_friary; and other sources; picture from "Andocs," A búcsújárás honlapja, www.bucsujaras.hu/andocs/index.html.)   

Also celebrated this date:

bulletNossa Senhora de Belem, Chandor, Goa, India. Rebuilt church blessed, 1950.
bulletSanta Maria, Grottaferrata, Roma, Latium, Italy. Abbey church consecrated, 1024.
bulletMadonna del Terremoto, Paterno, Potenza, Basilicata, Italy. Statue wept blood, 1857.
 

Where We Walked ~~~ Mary Ann Daly